Chestnuts & Sprouts
Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation, mainly because our elderly relatives like to boil the hell out of them until they are squidgy and disgusting. It doesn’t have to be that way! Here a way to serve crisp, tasty sprouts with the added bonus of Christmassy chestnuts. They look and taste great and you might even convert some people to loving their sprouts.
- 200g (8 oz.) Vacuum packed chestnuts (make sure you buy good quality chestnuts)
- 200g (8 oz.) Brussels sprouts.
- A few slices of vegan ‘bacon’
- Vegan margarine
- Drain the chestnuts.
- Peel the tough outer leaves from the sprouts and cut off the stalks. Cut them in half.
- Cut the veggie bacon into thin, short strips.
- Heat a knob of margarine in a frying pan and add the chestnuts, sprouts and bacon. Fry for around 5-
10 minutes until the chestnuts and sprouts soften and start to brown.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.