Wines, Beers & Spirits
You might be surprised to learn that many alcoholic drinks aren’t vegan or even vegetarian. When wine and beer are brewed, there is a lot of cloudy sediment left which has to be cleared. The traditional way of doing this is to leave the liquid in a cellar for a few months to allow the sediment to fall to the bottom. However, in modern brewing practices this takes too long and so a variety of substances are added to stick to the sediment to make it clear more quickly. These substances include isinglass (taken from the swim bladders of fish), egg, gelatine (ground up animal skin and bones) and clay. Some also involve animal ingredients such as beer made from honey and Baileys Irish Cream, which of course is made from milk.
This means that many wines and beers (especially real ales) aren’t suitable for vegans. However, the excellent website Barnivore.com has a comprehensive list of those drinks which are vegan.
Shopping In Supermarkets
If you need to buy drinks for a party, we recommend TheDrinkShop as they have a large range of drinks at low prices and also supply gift packaging, cocktail glasses and other bar equipment.
Wine By The Case
If you wish to buy wine in bulk or as a gift, there are several mail-
- Viva have a wide range of wines, with profits going to animal welfare campaigns.
- Vinceremos are a long-
established company selling a wide range of wines, the majority of which are vegan.
- Vintage Roots sell organic wine and have hundreds of vegan products.
- Smithfield wine is another merchant with an extensive vegan selection.
- The Animal Aid online shop sells wine by the case.
- Ethical Superstore has organic and fairtrade wines.
Until recently, it was very hard to find good quality vegan beer. Now, however, the brewing industry has gone through a revolution and the new generation of craft and traditional brewers have started to be conscious about the things they add to their beer. Here are some online shops where you can order vegan beer by the case.
- Flavourly is a craft beer subscription scheme. Most beers are vegan and so you just need to let them know that you only want vegan beers in your box. A subscription is a great present for a vegan beer lover.
- Vinceremos stock organic beers and ciders with vegan and gluten free options.
- Beer Gonzo stock a huge variety of craft beers and lagers and the vegan beers are easy to find.
- All beers from Stroud Brewery are organic and vegan.
- The Little Valley Brewery in West Yorkshire make vegan and organic beers that can be bought online.
- Pitfield Brewery's artisan beers are all vegan and organic.
- Nearly all Sam Smith's bottled ales and ciders are suitable for vegans.
- Italian Craft Beers is an importer of vegan beer and organic wine.
Barnivore.com lists around 1,500 vegan spirits. There's now a non-dairy version of Bailey's and another vegan alternative called Besos De Oro which is delicious. You can also make your own with our Vegan Bailey's Recipe.